Saturday, August 25, 2007

Never Fire Crazy

Don’t get involved in the first place. I have recently adopted this creed, and highly suggest you do the same. Without knowing it at the time, it all started just over a year ago after I became newly single. This followed the end of a failed 4+ year relationship after which I was launched full swing back into the dating scene I dreaded and have never been good at. This creed came to me after realizing that it was the theme to my dating life.

So let me give you some back-story. My best friend calls me a flirt and a tease and I frustrate the hell out of her with my relationships. I am not purposefully being a tease, I’m just genuinely excited that somebody is being nice, so I talk to them and try to be friends. This is what happens when you go your entire childhood as the fat, ugly kid who is mercilessly made fun of to all of a sudden (over one summer between 7th and 8th grades) growing 5 inches, getting contacts, and getting braces off. I have the mentality of the fat ugly kid who just wants to be liked by people but the moderately good looks of one who wouldn’t necessarily need to humor some of the people who come knocking. No swan story here, but the ugly duckling did at least achieve a decent fare - you know what I mean?

All that being said, I have had the unfortunate luck of finding men in my life to take to break-ups as though I whispered my goodbye into an on-blowing wind tunnel: they pretend that nothing was said. This results in some very awkward phone calls a couple days later when I answer to hear a hearty, “hey, just wanted to see what was going on!” I inevitably talk to them, because I don’t want them to feel bad, and this leads into a saga of confusion and sometimes even another break-up from the break-up relationship because we are spending entirely too much time talking and a friendship doesn’t work when one party gets really mad if I say I’m going on a date with somebody else.

Anyway, I heard the term on the best show ever, Arrested Development (I highly recommend you check it out ASAP if you’ve not seen it - there are 3 seasons, buy them all on DVD), and it just made sense. Never fire crazy. They’ll stalk.

3 comments:

Pancho said...

Yeah, it stills irks me that I was as douchey as I was, but what are you gonna do?

I can trump you though. Imagine going to do possession retrieval and being handed a packet -not one or two sheets - a packet of clinical information regarding the behavior patterns of the passive /aggressive personality profile...and then have the same person who handed you the packet try to get in your pants. Goo.

SanO16 said...

a) totally wasn't directed at you, Panch - this is describing more of the fleeting 1-3 month relationships you go through post-long-term-breakup where you almost instantly realize the person is NOT for you but aren't sure what to do...

b) Question: was the packet about her or was it a jab at you? Either way, yes, GOO. Packet definitely trumps breaking off the breakup

Pancho said...

Oh, I know it wasn't about me...it just reminded me of my douchiness.

As far as the packet goes: Passively, she said it was about her. Aggressively, it was a study of MALE passive/aggressive behaviors. So, I think it was really about me...or maybe she was trying to tell me she is a passive/aggressive transexual....I'm off to throw up now. Cheers.